Saturday, 8:00 a.m.—12 noon. Residents of The Town of Upper Marlboro and others are invited to bring their items for sale to the Town Hall (14211 School Lane, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772) and sell from their vehicle (or from the lawn space). Seller’s fee is $15—payable in cash, or, pay a minimum of $5 cash with $10 worth of non-perishable food items—all of which will be donated to the Marlboro Food Bank. The Town will also gladly collect acceptable items that are left over at the end of the day to donate to the Fuller Center for Housing Thrift Store in Town. Snacks and refreshments will also be available. Set-up time for sellers is 7:00 a.m. Call 301-627-4037 for more information. You can find this event, and many others on the “Day To Serve” website—learn how your town and many, many others in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and DC are helping their communities during the 3rd successful year of this annual September event. Visit: www.daytoserve.org Click on the “Events” tab and find us on the map!
The Town’s Downtown Business District property and business owners are invited to the second Public Meeting to learn about the Town’s application to the State of Maryland for a $300,000 Façade Improvement Program (FIP) Grant and to learn more about the draft design guidelines that are being developed. The meeting will take place at the Ledo Pizza Restaurant, 14611 Main Street Upper Marlboro, MD 20772. The time has yet to be confirmed, but will most likely be in the morning. Click on the headline to view the draft FIP Information and Application, and the Draft Design Guidelines. For more information or to RSVP, call Town Hall at 301-627-6905.
The Board of Town Commissioners are holding their monthly Work Session on Tuesday at 9:15 a.m. The meeting will consist of Board discussions. This meeting is open to the public.
ORDINANCE 2014-02 which relates to adopting and approving a budget amendment for the fiscal year 2014 was passed on June 3rd at the Regular monthly Town Meeting. Click on the link to see the PDF copy of the ordinance.
Saturday Night August 23, 2014 at 5 p.m. — (rain date, Sunday, Aug. 24 at 1:00 p.m.)
Click on headline link to view the flyer details . . .
The Town’s Downtown Business District property and business owners are invited to a Public Meeting to learn about the Town’s application to the State of Maryland for a $300,000 Façade Improvement Program (FIP) Grant and to learn about draft design guidelines that are being developed. The meeting will be held at the Olde Towne Inn on Thursday, August 21 from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Click on the headline to view the meeting invitation, Draft FIP Information and Application, and the Draft Design Guidelines. For more information or to RSVP, call Town Hall at 301-627-6905.
From August 19 to August 24 celebrate the March across Prince George’s County and the Battle of Bladensburg – before the British burn the White House! You can see the entire schedule on our micro-site at UndauntedWeekend.splashthat.com
A few details:
- Tuesday, August 19 – Marc Leepson discusses his new biography of Francis Scott Key, What So Proudly We Hailed, who was on the field in Bladensburg in August of 1814. The program will be held at Riversdale House Museum, 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD at 7pm. The program is jointly presented by Battle of Bladensburg Task Force and the Prince George’s Historical Society.
- Wednesday, August 20 – Join us at 10am at St. Mary’s Cemetery (22200 Aquasco Road, Aquasco, MD) for a dedication of a new sign and to celebrate the donation of hundreds of books to schools about the War of 1812.
- Thursday, August 21 – Bowie Baysox host a War of 1812 Night at the Ballpark with trivia, games, special programs, and more! The game starts at 6:35pm. Dollar Night for general admission tickets!
- Friday, August 22 – John Bull Roast is a chance to meet and greet re-enactors off the battlefield. Event held at Riversdale House Museum, 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD starting at 6:30pm. Very limited tickets are available. Call 301-864-0420 for registration details.
- Saturday, August 23 – A GIANT day of action!
- Start at 11am with a dedication of the new 1814 monument at Bladensburg Waterfront Park!
- We have over 200 re-enactors performing the largest battle re-enactment of the Battle of Bladensburg ever at 3pm.
- DC based food trucks (lobster trucks, crab cake trucks, taco trucks, and more) will roll in between noon until 7pm.
- Franklin’s Brewery and Romano’s Winery will be pouring from noon until 7pm.
- Visit our historic village with trades and demonstrations, information tents, historic music, and children’s games will be running from noon until 6pm.
- Meet President and Dolley Madison, Francis Scott Key, an 1814 era surgeon, and more living history all day.
- Take boat and trolley tours all day.
- Music and dancing throughout the day!
- At 5pm with “Celebrate American with Music” including the Stacy Brooks Band (Blues), Letitia VanSant and the Bonafides (Americana/Folk/Rock), and the Navy Commodores (Jazz/Swing/Big Band)
- Just before we send off the area’s LARGEST fireworks show at 8:45pm over the Anacostia River!
- Please note, there is NO parking at Waterfront Park. Satellite Parking information available at our website.
- Sunday, August 24 – Go beyond the Battle and experience the Burning of Washington.
- Run the Bladensburg Races 5K at 8am in Waterfront Park.
- Historic Bladensburg homes will be open with tours, archaeological digs, the Royal Surgeon, and connected by trolley between noon and 4pm.
Downtown DC will be burning with activities in Georgetown, the White House Historical Association, and more! Find out more at http://www.dcwarof1812.org
The Summer 2014 issue of the State Highway Administration (SHA) Project Newsletter has recently been sent via postal mail to homes and businesses of citizens near the MD 4 Pennsylvania Avenue/Suitland Parkway Interchange Project footprint. Currently, SHA continues design work on the MD 4 project, but visible changes will begin to take place beginning in Spring of 2015.
The purpose of the project is to facilitate transportation improvements at the intersection of MD 4 and Suitland Parkway in Prince George’s County. The project will increase roadway capacity to meet existing and future demands along the MD 4 corridor and address safety concerns. The project is needed because the corridor currently experiences excessive traffic congestion, which is projected to increase as future development increases trips along the corridor.
Changes to the design of the project are being communicated via the newsletter. The design was revised to a signalized interchange with a ramp for traffic to flow from northbound MD 4 to westbound Suitland Parkway. This project will also realign Presidential Parkway parallel to MD 4, as specified in the Prince George’s County Master Plan. Designated entrance and exit ramps will facilitate movement between MD 4 and Suitland Parkway. A free-flowing ramp will be constructed to accommodate the heavy left-turn movement from northbound MD 4 to westbound Suitland Parkway. Additionally, SHA will improve adjacent service roads to support local access needs and the entrance and exit ramps to the Joint Base Andrews.
The following design elements are included in the current alternative:
- MD 4 will be lowered and Suitland Parkway will pass over MD 4 via an interchange;
- The existing signal on MD 4 will be eliminated;
- Access to southbound MD 4 from Old Marlboro Pike and to Old Marlboro Pike from southbound MD 4 will occur via a new ramp from the realigned Old Marlboro Pike, located north of Suitland Parkway;
- Utility relocations will be necessary, including the relocation of public utilities that are present along MD 4 and within the project limits and;
- A bike/multi-use path connecting Presidential Parkway and developments north of the project with Old Marlboro Pike parallel to the westbound lanes of Suitland Parkway will be constructed.
The project will be delivered in stages. In fall 2014, SHA will advertise a project for clearing trees and brush along the east side of MD 4. SHA anticipates this work will be completed by early spring 2015. The second stage will involve utility relocation along the east side of MD 4. The third stage will be interchange construction which will begin in fall 2015 and will take approximately three to four years to complete, weather permitting.
The construction of the interchange will involve significant changes to the traffic patterns along MD 4, Suitland Parkway, and adjacent roads. Motorists should anticipate traffic congestion, detours, and extended road closures. SHA will place temporary signs to advise motorists of changes to traffic patterns. Changes to traffic patterns will be posted on SHA’s website and on variable message signs along the corridor. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes or transit if possible. SHA urges drivers to be vigilant and drive safely while traveling through this work zone and others throughout the state.
We will continue to keep you informed about this project as the finalization of design nears and as we draw closer to the beginning of construction for the project.
If you have questions or need additional information about this project, please contact:
Mr. Moreshwar B. Kulkarni, Project Manager,
Maryland State Highway Administration,
Office of Highway Development,
707 North Calvert Street, Mail Stop C-102,
Baltimore, Maryland 21202,
Toll Free: 1-888-228-5003;
E-mail: email@example.com .
The Maryland Relay Service can assist teletype users at 7-1-1.
For more information, visit SHA’s website: www.roads.maryland.gov and click on Projects and Studies, SHA Projects Page, Select a County, then select Prince George’s County, Pre-Construction and MD 4, Pennsylvania Avenue, Interchange at Suitland Parkway.
Click on the link to read the approved minutes from the July 2014 Town Meeting.
The 7th meeting of the Town of Upper Marlboro Sustainable Communities Workgroup (SCW) will take place at 8:00 a.m., on Friday, August 15, 2014 at the Town Hall. Agenda items include: Facade Improvement Program (FIP); and, Draft Design Guidelines. This meeting is open to the public.