Public Safety Department

policeWe are proud to serve and protect the residents, businesses, property owners, civic organizations and visitors to our Town. The Town of Upper Marlboro normally  provides 24-hour police coverage 7 days a week in addition to the Prince George’s County Police Department . Both police departments are dispatched by the Prince George’s County Communications Center dispatch system. For for police or fire emergencies,  dial 911. For police or fire  non-emergencies contact the Prince George’s County non-emergency dispatch at (301) 352-1200.  If you wish to speak to one of our officers,  contact our administrative office at (301) 627-6905 x4 Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We are located in the Town Hall, 14211 School Lane, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772.

Public Works Department

pwThe Public Works Department will provide our community with the highest quality of public service that continually enhances the quality of life for all residents, businesses, property owners, civic organizations and visitors. This commitment will be accomplished through cooperation with other Town departments and the proper utilization of all our allotted resources in the most cost-effective and efficient ways possible. The Public Works Department does this by providing:

  • Residential and limited commercial waste and bulk trash collection
  • Maintenance and repair of Town streets, signs and parking lots
  • Groundskeeping and landscaping on Town property
  • Snow and ice removal of Town Streets and parking lots
  • Lending the Town truck for bulk trash loading to residents over the weekend (contact Town Hall for arrangements and conditions)
  • Maintenance of Town buildings
  • Other duties as required by the Board of Commissioners

The collection schedule for the Town is:

  • Monday — Residential trash and bulk trash
  • Thursday — Residential recycling

Town Ordinance 02-5 requires that all businesses have trash collection. There is currently no Town bulk trash or County recycling services for businesses. “Bulk trash” includes yard waste or larger household items, such as appliances and furniture.

Please set out all trash by 7:00 a.m. to ensure pickup. If the regular collection day falls on a holiday, pickup will occur on the following work day.

The Town contracts out recycling to Prince George’s County Waste Management Division (WMD). Contact WMD for any questions or issues with service at (301) 952-7630. You can call WMD to request a recycling bin or fill out their online order form. The following is taken from the County website on how and what to recycle:

  • All recyclable items are placed in the same container.
  • Recyclables are collected without the need to sort or separate.
  • Equipment at the Materials Recycling Facility sorts the materials
  • A box or any receptacle marked with an “X” or the word “Recycling” may be used as a recycling collection container.
  • Corrugated cardboard boxes will be collected with their contents.

Acceptable Items


  • Food and beverage containers


  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Aluminum, bimetal, ferrous, and steel food and beverage containers
  • Aluminum foil
  • Coat hangers

Mixed Paper/Corrugated Cardboard

  • All paper
  • Aseptic/gable-top milk and juice cartons
  • Catalogs
  • Corrugated cardboard (boxes)
  • Frozen food packaging
  • Hard- and soft- covered books
  • Kraft paper bags and wrapping paper
  • Magazines
  • Newspapers with inserts
  • Paper board (cereal and cracker boxes)
  • Telephone books


  • Bagged grocery bags, shrink wrap, and stretch-film (Insert all bags within one bag; no loose single bags)
  • Drinking cups/glasses
  • Flower pots
  • Narrow-neck containers with code identification numbers 1 through 7
  • Wide-mouth containers such as peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and whipped topping; margarine/butter tubs; and
  • prescription bottles
  • Coat hangers

Remember to rinse all food and beverage containers and to recap or place the lids in the recycling cart/bin.

Unacceptable Items

  • Auto parts
  • Broken glass
  • Dishes;
  • Electronics
  • Hazardous materials
  • Light bulbs
  • Medical waste
  • Mirrors
  • Motor oil containers
  • Packing foam and peanuts
  • Plastic utensils
  • Windowpanes

The Town does not accept electronic equipment and household hazardous waste, such as:

  • TVs, VCRs, radios and stereos, CD/DVD players, cell phones
  • fax machines, copiers, printers, ink toners and cartridges
  • desktop and laptop computers, any computer components, monitors, scanners
  • oil-based paints, paint thinners and solvents, cans from oil-based and latex paint
  • photographic chemicals
  • car parts
  • used motor oil, brake fluid and antifreeze, unwanted fuels (gasoline, diesel, kerosene)
  • batteries of any type, including from cars/boats and laptops, acid
  • pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, poisons
  • explosives and ammunition, propane tanks, fire extinguishers
  • medical waste materials*

* Includes old prescription medications, as well as unused over-the-counter medications. Scientists have recently discovered everything from pain killers to anti-depressants to antibiotics in our water supply. These drugs can harm the wildlife that rely on our rivers and lakes, as well as kill the beneficial bacteria in our septic systems. Therefore, please do not flush away old and unused medications in your sink or toilet.

Brown Station Landfill accepts these hazardous waste materials every day except  Sunday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The landfill is located at 11611 White House Road and the phone number is (301) 952-7625. If you have questions during the weekdays, contact Desmond Gladden at Prince George’s County’s Household Hazardous Waste Office, (301) 883-7163 TDD (301) 985-3894 or

We also assist elderly or disabled residents with picking up their trash. If your household is unable to move a trash can to the curb for collection, please contact the Town Hall and request assistance. The Public Works Department will contact you and arrange for a place next to your house to pick up the trash.

The Town operates a street sweeper to keep our streets and gutters free of debris. Please do not place leaves or branches in the road, but up on the curb. Branches need to be cut into four-foot lengths and bundled together.

In general, trash cans should be no larger than 32 gallons and have handles for lifting and a lid that seals. If you are concerned about whether your trash can meets Town requirements (as described in Ordnance 02-5 and Amendment 12/13/06), please contact the Town Hall. The Public Works Department will come out to view your trash can and let you know if it is suitable.