The incorporated Town of Upper Marlboro is 0.4 square miles, less than one mile across and half a mile wide. 4.65% (0.04 square miles) of that is water. Once a port town, the Town is on the Western Branch of the Patuxent River. The main stem of the Patuxent River, not far from the Town, forms the eastern boarder of Prince George’s County.
The Town is among the oldest of the surviving southern Maryland towns with a history dating back to colonial times. The area was settled around 1695 and named after the first Duke of Marlborough — an ancestor of Winston Churchill. It was established as a port town for tobacco shipments in 1706, when the western branch of the Patuxent River was still navigable for tobacco vessels. It has been the county seat of Prince George’s County since 1721.
The town is the birthplace of John Carroll, the first Catholic Archbishop in America and founder of Georgetown University, and of his brother Daniel, a signer of the U.S. Constitution. Throughout its history, Upper Marlboro has been the home or place of work of prominent national, state, and local figures. In recent times, it was the home of the late Lansdale G. Sasscer, Sr., Maryland State Senator, 1922-1938, and U.S. Congressman, 1939-1953. (Adopted from Maryland’s 157 by the Maryland Municipal League).
To find out more, visit:
- M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation Historic Sites & Museums
- Prince George’s County Genealogical Society
- Prince George’s County Historic Preservation Commission
- Prince George’s County Historical and Cultural Trust
- Maryland Humanities Council
- Maryland Genealogical Society
- Maryland Historical Society
- Maryland Historical Trust